On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:27:30 +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

br...@buys.net.br [1] (br...@buys.net.br [2]) wrote:
>> The thing is,
when I open a 16bit tiff, Gimp *still* pops up the "can't handle 16bit,
information will be lost...". After opening the file I go to Image >
Precision and change to 16bit. But from what I understand, setting the
file to 16bit *after* it was downed from 16 to 8 doesn't help.
Information was already discarded in the first conversion.
> I am
working at the TIFF plugin and some tiffs get loaded correctly
> (while
others are broken at the moment). Tiff is quite convoluted and
> has a
ton of different options. It is hard to wrap your mind around it.
I don't understand: can't Gimp just open the file as it is, with no
conversion whatsoever, since support to 16bit is there?
> Well,
unfortunately it is not that easy. There is a certain API
> available
for the file-plugins that transfers the image data to the Gimp
> core.
That API was only prepared to accept 8 bit images. The transition
> of
the core to a wider range of data formats did not change the old API,
since we wanted to keep compatibility for the plugin (or all plugins
would have disappeared simultaneously).
> Hence we had to invent a
second set of API functions that support the
> new data formats.
However, this means that the plugins which want to
> make use of the new
data formats need to be changed to use the new API.
> In a lot of cases
this is quite easy and means less code in the plugins,
> but the changes
have to be done and it is real work.
> Porting the p*m-Plugin
(plug-ins/common/file-pnm.c) should be easy. The
> file-format is as
simple and straight-forward as it gets. If you want to
> dabble with
development and help with the progress of Gimp you are
> welcome to take
a shot at it. If you catch me in IRC (#gimp, nomis) I'll
> be glad to
give assistance.
> Have fun,
> Simon

Hi Simon!
That´s very friendly
of yours to reply in such detail. Now I feel like my first
email was a
little "clientish". Sorry for that. Gimp isn´t a private company.

I am
not of much help as a coder, but I can provide files and give
in testing.

Good news is, since you said you are working in
16bit tiff, when its done,
it will be huge. Tiff is an important bridge
for those of us converting from raw.

Other good news is, I was able to
load, work and save a 16bit png file, following

file was converted from tiff to png with 'convert', and opens without
loose data notification. After opening, the precision is indeed set
to 16bit.

All the best!

[2] mailto:br...@buys.net.br