Speaking just for myself, I don't find 2.8.0 a stale release, at least on
Windows.  I keep reading about issues with the tools crashing, performance
problems, slowdowns with lcms, wacom problems, etc, so I keep plugging
along with the last 2.6 stable for any work I do for clients.

As much as I yearn for some of the great new features, I can't afford to
risk loosing work, so I'm waiting for 2.8.1

Additionally, I have yet to port the dozens of scripts I've created and use
to 2.8, and would hate to hit a situation where I needed them and had to
stop to fix them. (just a lack of time issue on my part).

-Rob A>