My new Fedora 17 installation says it has gimp 2.8.

But the changes I've seen described for gimp 2.8 are not apparent.

The interface seems unchanged with multiple windows.

Also, supposedly there is an Image>Precision Menu item  which allows me
to se the precision.  I don't have that.

On the other hand, when I load a 16 bit image, I don't get a notice
about conversion to 8 bits per channel, and a calculation suggests that
each pixel takes up six bytes.

What is going on?  When can I exect additional changes?

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University