Just create a new layer in the layer window (usually it is in the panel
from the right side, but if you don't see one, press Ctlr+L to make the
window appear). Then left-click the new layer and while holding the mouse
button drag it to the bottom of the layer stack. Select the layer and fill
it with the white colour.

Good luck!
Boris

P.S. GIMP is all right! You'll get used to it very soon ;)