> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:56:50 -1000
> From: 75270.3...@earthlink.net
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP 2.8 usability discussion - Argument
> consolidation and referencing
> In particular, a problem I encounter with workflow in GIMP is that GIMP
> doesn't really
> handle (AFAIK) meta-data embedded with image raster data in file formats
> (in my case, Tiff tags).  Treating import in a manner analogous to
> export (ie, import and export may cause loss of data) seems reasonable
> (if only to me of course).
> scott s.
> .

Metadata is, almost by definition, non-essential to the layer and pixel
composition of an image; so the fact GIMP ignores it during load only makes a
difference if you need to write said composition back to a TIFF file with
original metadata preserved.  (Which is, of course, little consolation if your
particular workflow relies on this.)

-- Stratadrake