On 7/17/2012 13:41, Richard Gitschlag wrote:

GIMP preserves EXIF metadata when exporting as JPG - the option is there
on the Export dialog and it's checked by default.  I agree on the point
though - whether or not GIMP needs to load the metadata in an image is
distinct from whether the user cares about having that metadata.  If you
open a TIF file, what happens to the metadata when you export, and
especially if you overwrite?

Well I can you if it is a GEOTiff (standard defined set of Tiff tags) they are lost. That of course is true whether you save an xcf or export
back to tiff.  IIUC GIMP uses a 3rd party library to read tiff, and I
guess GIMP spec doesn't specify if on import if GIMP is to retain
meta-data, silently dispose of it, or alert the user that meta-data may
be lost.

scott s.
.