On 07/22/2012 11:21 AM, Andreas Lemke wrote:

> I would be interested in knowing if Gimp users consciously prefer
> the model with "private" non-shared operations.  Or has it evolved
> like this for historical reasons? Clearly, the choice of interaction
> model affects the Gimp learning curve.

I think the big difference here is that different types of objects
in the GIMP are fundamentally different in nature.  It may be
possible to make "generic" operations on objects more consistent,
but there is a limit to how far this can go - lots of judgment calls
to be made.  The one thing I am sure will not happen, is
simplification past a point where functionality is lost.  That's
something that happens to commercial software...