On 07/25/2012 07:06 PM, RichardAinz wrote:
Hi. I am new. Both here and to Gimp. Tested it a bit on and off, but the
breakthrough for me was the single window mode, so now I am currently making an
effort to learn something.

My first question is actually about somethin I am failing to do with Photoshop
CS4. I create a text, rasterize it, then create the stripes via the rectangle
tool (in this case I am messing with different national colours, like Germany).
Now so far so god, but I never get around to actually be able to merge the
strips with the text. The closest I have gotten is to see the text behind the
stripes, but then the strips also covers the space between the text. I followed
this tutorial for that:

I looked at Your Sweet Candy tutorial and, excluding some steps, seems to be
relevant, but for step 15, where I do not want to select stripes available
inGimp, but create new ones. Can you please point me in the right direction?

- Create layer with text
- Create layer with stripes, covering at least the whole text
- Select layer with text
- "Layer/Transparency/ Alpha to selection (you now have a selection that matches the shape of the text)
- Select layer with stripes
- Select/Invert (we want a selection on everything outside the text)
- Select/Clear (or [Delete]): you have remove everything but the shape of the text
- Get rid of  (or hide) the text layer

You can also generate the stripes using a gradient, in which case:
- Create layer with text
- "Layer/Transparency/ Alpha to selection (you now have a selection that matches the shape of the text)
- Add new layer
- Apply gradient (it will be restricted to the selection)

Or also:
- Create layer with text
- Lock the alpha for the layer (check box at top of Layers list)
- Apply gradient (won't apply on transparent parts due to alpha-lock)