It works for me. Even across sessions. So when I shut down Gimp 2.8 and
restart, it still opens the Export dialog at the same place where I
exported last time.

If you want the Export dialog to open at a specific default location
independent of where you exported last time, I wouldn't know how to do that.

Happy gimping,

Andreas