2012/8/1 Dave Kimble <dave.kim...@gmx.com>:
> On the GIMP home page it says GIMP v2.8 was released on 2012-05-03.
> On the downloads page it says for Ubuntu use the Ubuntu Software Centre.
> That only has v2.6.12 .
> There doesn't seem to be any other way of getting it.

Google is your friend: try "Ubuntu GIMP 2.8" and you'll get several
simple explanations about how to upgrade to GIMP 2.8, depending on
your version of Ubuntu.

> I want the latest version because various posts indicate the
> counter-intuitive behaviour of Toolbox Window etc has changed, and it seems
> pointless to complain if it has already been fixed.
> My question on v2.6.12 is: since there are only 3 tools in the Toolbox that
> I ever use,
> and no buttons to bring up the Brightness/Contrast dialog etc,
> how do I change the contents of Toolbox ?
> In most apps, for example Firefox, you have View > Toolbars > Customise
> and can then drag and drop the buttons you use regularly from/to a pool of
> buttons.
> I thought there must be at least a plug-in that does that, because it is so
> obvious,
> but the plug-ins registry doesn't seem to have anything like that under
> Toolbox or Toolbar.
> Am I missing something ?

Yes indeed. Call Image: Edit -> Preferences and choose Toolbox. There
you can decide the exact contents of your Toolbox. By the way, it was
the same in version 2.6 and even 2.4, and what is this
counter-intuitive behaviour you mention?

Olivier Lecarme