---- Dave Kimble <dave.kim...@gmx.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> The downloads page should at least have mentioned that,
> and given the magic four commands:

Ummm... NO, IT SHOULD NOT.  There is nothing "official" about this package at
all(I have no problem with it working fine though).   Note that the GIMP team
does NOT produce binary files at all.   If you go to the Downloads
page(http://www.gimp.org/downloads/) you will notice that the Windows version
is NOT hosted by the official GIMP site but created and hosted by a third
party.   Likewise when you click the "Show other downloads" link, you will see
the very first header and text:

GIMP for Unix-like systems

It's very likely your Unix-like system such as a GNU/Linux distribution already
comes with a GIMP package. It is a preferred method of installing GIMP, as the
distribution maintainers take care of all the dependencies and bug fix updates.

It is the distro's responsibility to create a package from the source code the
GIMP team produces and place into their repository for their users.   Debian
base systems typically do so on the following major release AFTER a specific
project has releasable code.  Since GIMP 2.8 went "gold" very close to the time
the last Debian release was put out, there was no time to package, test,
validate, etc which is why 2.8 is not in those repositories.   Debian systems
do that to try to maintain a bit of stability since it gives the distro
"owners" time to test, wait for high priority bug fixes/patches etc, before
something gets into their repositories.   If you want to always be on the
bleeding edge(and thus have the possibility of more bugs), you should switch to
a different distro such as Fedora where new software/updates are pushed out to
you fairly quickly(as are bugs in said software in some cases.)

For the record, I used Ubuntu until it switched to Unity(and really, I did try
to use it for a year or so) after which I switch to Linux Mint using Gnome
3(better than Unity, but not by much... Mint's Gnome 3 extensions really helped
quite a bit though), and am currently using Cinnamon which I quite like

Of course, you ALWAYS have the alternative of downloading the source code and
compiling yourself.  I have never compiled anything(other than a few java
programs), and while it was a tedious process other than one issue(having to do
with compiling the gtk+ prerequisite and my drawing tablet not being fully
recognized) compiling on Linux was relatively straight forward... the hardest
part was tracking down the dependencies(and in some cases, that libraries
dependencies).   All told, perhaps a few hours of work... but that few hours of
work and experience now grant me access to know how to compile future versions
of GIMP, including those which are currently in development to be able to test
new features that are not as of yet in a release build.

> In v2.6.12 Edit > Preferences > Toolbox doesn't seem to offer that feature.
> Only 3 checkboxes for the Appearance (see attached screenshot)
> V2.8 has a Tools Configuration section, which is just what I wanted.
> "Counter-intuitive" was my polite term for "horrible", but I suppose
> some people might like it.

Hmm, I am not quite sure what you mean by that(though, it has been a while
since I last did this process).  Why do you think it's counter-intuitive?  Is
it because you are from a Windows based system where many applications have a
right click menu->popup window to customize the "toolbar"(ala MS Office
products) or is there something specific about that preference page that could
use some changing?  This might be a good topic for a separate email so as to
keep things on track and make for easier referencing and searches though...