>On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Anoko wrote:

>> The explanation page says "In other words, GIMP used to assume
>> that you don't mind accidental loss of unrecoverable project data and
>> bothered you with confirmation dialogs. It was a convoluted logic,
>> but people got used to it."
>>
>> I do not see why this is solved.

>Yes, you don't see it :)

I understand that you are bored of the discussion, but by suggesting that it is
my problem alone of seeing it wrong, I think that's a bit insulting and really
unnecessary. I was at least trying to be constructive. I suspect though that
you have misunderstood my use case.

User: lets say he wants so save image with transparance as jpg, clicks save
Gimp: you have to use export
User: Export to jpg
Gimp: ok! (no message that transparance got lost)
User: click exit
Gimp: Sure? not saved!
User: uh, I just exported it, oh yeah right exporting is not saving. But it's
exported, so my changes are safe. Agree!
Transparancy lost. This is something I already encountered once, so it is a
realistic use case (whether it is a probable is something else, but whether the
previous "problem" was much larger is to be seen as well).

Since in the "old" workflow, everyone who used to use "save" for exporting to
png/jpg etc., will with some annoyance now use export, but no longer get
"flatten layers?" messages, and he/she has to remember that indeed "unsaved
changes" are unrelated to exporting.

Since such people will always get a "you have unsaved changes" message when
exitting the GIMP, this message becomes useless for this workflow. Thus, the
only way to use GIMP without major annoyance, is to follow the forced xcf route.

--
Anoko (via gimpusers.com)