Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 21:18:34 -0700
From: cbpaynetul...@clearwire.net
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Painting a drawing

Just
 wondering if Gimp can paint in a ink comic book panel I draw?I would
scan the drawing in and then paint it using gimp,is that possible and is
 there a tutorial showing me jhow?Thank you.

Richard

Well, the abstract of it is:

1 - Ink your drawing in pen, and erase any leftover pencil you don't want to
interfere with the scan.
2 - Scan the drawing with relatively high contrast (not "B&W" scanning, just
clipped highlights and shadows) to give you sharper, solidified blacks and
whites. This makes your life easier in the long term because you want your
linework to be have fully opaque lines and fully transparent areas; things like
paper grain and intermediate greys will only make the result look muddy so
remove them from the equation as soon as you can.
3 - Once the image is in GIMP, create two layers - top layer will hold the
inking you just scanned (your "cels"), the other will go below it and hold the
actual coloring.
4 - A lot of people will tell you to take the inking layer and set its blending
mode to Multiply.  This works because it effectively makes the black lines
opaque and white areas transparent.  You can also apply colors to the inking
layer (instead of white) to give an entire area a color tint.
5 - Or alternately, instead of Multiply blending you can take the inking layer
and perform a "Color to Alpha" transition using white as the color key.  This
also makes the black lines opaque and white areas transparent, but now they
actually are opaque/transparent pixels.  Then lock the layer's alpha channel.
This gives you the ability to tint the linework any color (not just black) if
you want to.

Obviously, phrasing it in these "simple" terms leaves out a lot of fine
intermediate details, this is just the abstract principle for it.  There's a
lot of additional tricks you can do, such as organizing each panel into its own
layer (preferably via layer group), painting different colors on separate
layers, painting via selection mask, etc.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com