On 09/23/2012 07:45 AM, Lorgach wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm a relative newbie at using Gimp or any Photo Editing software but I have
> tried out some adjustments on photos using Gimp and am happy with the results.
> I have recently been asked if I could try to restore an old black and white
> photo that is in quite bad shape, full of bends, scratches and is also very
> grainy.
> I have looked through the Tutorials and also done searches on here to try and
> find something that would assist me in carrying out this project but there
> doesn’t seem to be anything that I can find that would help me.
> I would be grateful if someone on the Forum could point me in the right
> direction if some quicker/slicker techniques I could use other that using the
> Cloning and Healing brushes as I have tried this and it’s extremely laborious.
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hey Jim,

The Colors and Grain script might be very helpful:

If you download the script and put it in the "scripts" directory of
your GIMP installation (location varies with operating systems), it
will appear in the GIMP menu at:  Filters > Leon > Grain-Colors

How to use this script to remove common photo damage, per the
plugin's author (scroll down for English):

This video tutorial on retouching skin explains how to set up the
grain and color layers "by hand" without the script:

An alternate method using the same general principles: