On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM, David Woodfall wrote:
> Hi, I've been printing out a lot of black and white photos on photo
> paper on a HP Photosmart 7510e.
>
> The printouts are very dark so I've had to boost the brightness levels
> in GIMP prior to printing. The problem is that this takes extra time
> and I also don't want to save these levels in the XCF file. I would
> say that (going by the Gamma Display Filter) the printouts are around
> 40% of the brightness they ought to be.
>
> My question is, does anyone else have this problem and what can be
> done about it? I've googled for an .ICC for my printer but it hasn't
> really helped, unless I'm setting it wrong.

Googling for arbitrary ICC profiles isn't such a great idea. Color
reproduction doesn't depend on just the printer. It's a combination of
printer, inks and paper.

I wouldn't print from GIMP either. Try PhotoPrint:
http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/index.php?article=02Software%2F01PhotoPrint

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org