Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 10:04:41 +0200
Subject: [Gimp-user] Grayscale and alpha layers

Is there any way I can directly make a grayscale image into an alpha
transparency channel?
 mean, NOT involving selection? Because selection by color to layer
mask, is really fucking up what I need to do thanks to the selection

Why is it damn easy to turn an alpha channel into a grayscale image but not the

The fastest way is to perform a Color to Alpha transition (under Layers >
Transparency) using black as the background color.  Black becomes transparent,
white becomes opaque.

-- Stratadrake