As a partial answer to the original question, if you can get hold of a path
version of your text (vector) you can paint the path with a brush using
wide spacing between strokes. This creates dots along the path.

I just can't think of a way to get a single line path for text in the first
place. My usual solution would be colour selecting the desired outline and
turning selection to path. This would create an outline (double line) path,
though, which is probably not what you want.

Or the lower transparency option as mentioned by Jay would make much sense
and be less work too.

Good luck!

Xiella