Seeing how you said it was running fine for a while...
how full is your hard drive?
I did a google search on "gmem.c errors",
and it would seem a lot of them had to do with high
memory intensive operations being performed.
Here is one specific to gimp:
http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/51518-glib-error/

and if you scroll to the bottom you see where they talk about
the amount of memory/cap allocated to gimp or system etc.

Here's one on the inflation of memory need in inkscape:
http://www.inkscapeforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=10253

But I was thinking if your disk is pretty near full maybe
there isn't enough room to create the swap space needed
or preset by your settings to start up gimp?
Just a thought.
Dan