Hello,

I don't know the sourcecode and therefore cannot be sure about this, but here's what I've concluded from observation: Text in GIMP saves it's properties in two different places: One set of properties that is the standard for the entire text layer and then the modified parameters for every letter you change. Unfortunately, by using the floating menu you can only change the modified parameters, even if you have the entire text selected. So when you delete the entire text and start entering a new one (that's also what happens if you selected the entire text and start tipping), it uses the layer-wide standard properties. To change those, you have to change them in the tool properties of the text tool instead of the floating menu. Maybe it'd be worth a bug report if there isn't one, requesting to alter the layer-wide properties when the entire text is selected.

bw,
Tobl