GIMP has disappeared (uninstalled itself or by other outside entity) from my
Apple Mac. I haven't noticed the exact date, but it happened at about the same
time when Apple disconnected  JAVA applications. Any ideas how this could have
happened?

I don't see a coherence between GIMP and Java, because GIMP doesn't use Java and vice versa the only library for using GIMP from Java applications is very old. Maybe you accidently removed GIMP by dragging it from the applications folder to the recycle bin. Do get it back, move it back from your recycle bin (if GIMP is still there) or install a new version from http://www.gimp.org/downloads/.

Kind regards,

Sven