hi

it might be issue related to comunication between GIMP and Your window
manager. Which one do You use? KDE, GNOME, LXDE, Fluxbox or something
else?

Please give us some more info:
1) Which window manager do You use
2) Which display manager do You use (gdm/kdm/xdm or other)

3) Have You tried to use GIMP in *any* other window manager. If yes,
whether the problem still exist in other Wm.