First we need some more info:
1) What operating system are You using
2) Wchich version of GIMP - do You mean Gimp 2.0 ? Or Gimp 2.6 or 2.8
or something else.

I can only gues that You mean Gimp 2.8 on some M$ Windows system ...
probably You deleted some system files before and now system don't
know what to remove.
It's just gues  i've forgoten where i lost my crystall ball.

However if i guess correctly what happened, one proven way was to
manually clean registry, and later remove unnecessary files.