Liam R E Quin <> writes:

>On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 06:10 +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
>> I'm using GIMP 2.8 on Xubuntu 12.10.  I have been going through the new
>> manual trying out various features, was experimenting with text-to-path,

>It's buggy, yes. Right now, Inkscape (also free) is better at this.

Thanks for the info.  Someone told me about a plug-in
that you can obtain here:

I installed this and it works.  With this, you create/select a target path
and then from the Paths dialog, right-click and find it under the Tools
section at the bottom of the context menu.  This is another suggested
workaround until the built-in functionality is fixed.

>> 2: Any good reason why the "Path from Text" and "Text along Path" buttons
>>    were removed from the Text Tool Options menu?
>They moved (I can never remember where they went though). I don't know
>why either, sorry :-)

Turns out they are now context-sensitive and are found by right-clicking on the
text box itself, right-clicking on the text layer on the Layers dialog, or on
the Layers pull-down menu when the Text tool is selected.

Thanks for the help.