>As much as I'd like to tell you "Hey, switch to Fedora, because we've
>it", the basic fact is that:
> 1. So does Ubuntu: https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/gimp/
>2. The gimp docs clearly tell you how to install it for multiple
>    distributions. http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
>The fundamental difference here isn't that Windows and Mac get special
>treatment. Instead, it's that with most Linux distributions, it's
Ok, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and I have GIMP 2.6.11  I well understand that this
is the version currently available from the Ubuntu Software Center and doing a
"sudo apt-get install gimp" tells me I have the latest version already
installed. So I think that kind of covers points 1 and 2 in the above.

And while we're talking about 'basic' facts, what I was commenting on was the
'basic'  fact that while users on other platforms have access to GIMP 2.8
binaries, Ubuntu users (particularly 11.10) do not. Why?

mamboze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)