1. I've just downloaded and installed GIMP and GIMP help system for Win7. When I hover over the action buttons or options, I'm told to press F1 for help, but no help comes up. What do I need to do sto connect GIMP to its help.

2. My first task is to upgrade some music pages for a composer. He has grayscale PDFs. The music scanned well but the horizontal staff lines are a light grey, clear but light. How do I make any pixel darker than certain threshold value black? How do I set that threshold?

I have no experience with GIMP, just some minimal experience with MSPAINT. But I'm happy to learn.