In a nutshell, when the selection is copied it includes the (x,y) offset from
the upper-left corner of the image canvas, and it utilizes this offset when
pasting back into the image. Image zoom is irrelevant and so is canvas size

For now, the quickest workaround we have to paste at a specific area of the
image is "Paste Into" then "To New Layer" -- and what exactly the difference is
between it and normal Paste I've still got to figure out.

-- Stratadrake