On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Elmer Wix
<elmer.cabekaziruronometu....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I often use my digital camera to take pictures of flat, rectangular
> objects, like framed paintings on a wall, book or album covers, or
> pages of documents.  Of course, I can't take these pictures straight
> on and perfectly level, but that's OK.  I know what the dimensions of
> the objects are, so I can just correct the perspective in software.
> Does Gimp have any function like this?  I found the perspective tool,
> but that requires me to manually shift the perspective and eyeball
> when I think a rectangular image is produced.  That's not nearly as
> convenient.

The perspective tool has an inverse mode, if you align the grid lines
from the wireframe preview with the lines desired to become
horizontal/vertical and then do the transform you should end up with a
rectified version of the quadliteral.

                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/