> Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 04:31:48 +0100
> From: for...@gimpusers.com
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> CC: t...@gimpusers.com
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Screen tearing and slow when panning the canvas under
> windows 7
> I have bad screen tearing in gimp 2.8 in windows 7 x64, making it almost
> unusable! (see youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obN-ox8-n1w look
> around 15 seconds into the video )
> i just reinstalled windows after using linux for a few months , gimp worked
> fine
> in linux (ubuntu x64) with the same hardware. i had the problem before in
> windows and i have it again with a fresh install
> i have tried gimp 2.8.0, 2.8.2 and the same problem with the new one (2.8.4),
> same problem aswell with gimp 2.9 development builds. gimp 2.6 works fine with
> no screen tearing at all.
> hardware specs:
> CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292.53 MHz)
> Memory: 16368 MB
> OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
> Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
> Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2
> Graphics Driver version: 310.90
> --
> jarmade (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

This is a known issue more or less exclusive to the Windows GIMP, started in
2.8.0 and there's no easy fix in sight yet.  It's like the redraw events
trigger faster than they can actually complete themselves, so they pile up and
everything grinds to a halt until they finish processing.  It's actually quite
harmless to the current image, just very annoying to see happen.

Workaround:  Limit how often you use Spacebar to pan the image (e.g, pan via
mousewheel and/or scrollbars); and when you do, be careful about how fast you
move your cursor (to prevent the redraws from logjamming).

-- Stratadrake