On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 04:42 +0100, Llewellan wrote:
> I have just installed Gimp 2.8 and really, really like it except upon opening
> an
> image to work on, Gimp really discolors it. This so spoils the original.

Which platform? Linux Ubuntu? Which version?

One possible reason is to do with colour management - you might need to
use Edit/Preferences to disable colour management. This can be needed in
particular if (1) there's a bug :-_ or (2) you have an incorrect colour
profile for your monitor (not uncommon on Microsoft Windows I hear), or
(3) the input file has an embedded colour profile that's incorrect.