I appreciate the responses, which led me to experimenting.  I don't seem to
have the Gradient Editor.  I guess it's time to upgrade from gimp 2.6.  But
even if I did have the Editor, I can see that it's beyond my level.
Thanks all -- I'll keep playing with it.
Helen

Helen Etters
using Linux, suse11.4