I'm running Gimp 2.8.4 on Ubuntu 13.04 Linux (64-bit) and I'm using it
to open a XCF file I created back in 2009.  Unfortunately, I don't
remember the version of Gimp that was used to create the XCF file.

Anyway, when I open this XCF file in Gimp 2.8.4, it opens fine and I can
see the layers fine in the layers dialog window. However, when I use the
text tool to try to edit one of the text layers, I'm unable to do so and
the text tool doesn't seem to recognize the text layer as a text layer.

I would like to use the text tool to get the font and font color used
for text in one of the text layers so I can use that same font and color
for some new text I would like to add to the image.

Any ideas on why the text tool in Gimp 2.8.4 can't identify the text
layers in my XCF file as text layers?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

Tom