Hi
Some time ago i tried both compiling Gimp 2.8 on Squeeze, and
installing Debian Testing ... to see what's wrong with my attempt to
compile Gimp 2.8.

To make long thing short - problems with compilation are caused by
dependencies of Gimp 2.8 dependencies. At some moment You end up with
upgrading gcc and half other system libraries. If only You can install
wheezy it should solve most of Your troubles.

There is one possible workaround: one user of this mailing list
approached similar problem on FreeBSD. Solution was building Gimp and
all it's dependencies in jail.
This way system was stable and Gimp 2.8 had all needed dependencies inside jail.
Unfortunately i can't remember where this instruction was and whether
it can be ported to Debian.

Dominik

2013/5/12, Chris Mohler <cr33...@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpet...@jamadots.com>
> wrote:
>> Does anyone on the list here, have any actual knowledge & or experience
>> building GIMP 2.8x on Linux Debian Squeeze? My current version of GIMP is
>> 2.6.1.
>>
>> Some questions I have (for example) are: Do I /really/ have to uninstall
>> the
>> old version...? Any dependency issues (conflicts, etc.) ? Any way to get
>> the
>> (newer) dependencies by means of the terminal? Will I be able to actually
>> do
>> this (i.e.,/ do a working build with this version/)?
>
> I have 2.6 and 2.8 on the a Mint (like Ubuntu/Debian) system.
>
> There's a build script floating around somewhere, but I can't seem to
> find it now (and it required heavy modification, at least for my
> system anyway).
>
> There's this:
> http://wiki.gimp.org/index.php/Hacking:Building/Linux
>
> I think the biggest thing to remember is to remember to prefix
> everything with /opt or /home/YOU/gimp/ - ie *not* put it into /usr or
> /usr/local/.
>
> 'apt-get build-dep gimp' should bring in several -dev packages you'll
> need.  The rest will need to be compiled and installed in /opt or
> wherever.
>
> It's been some months since I went through this - I'm probably
> forgetting a few things, but the short answer is yes, you can compile
> and install 2.8 without removing 2.6.  There are quite a dew deps to
> work through, but keep the additions outside of your system path and
> you should be fine.
>
> HTH,
> Chris

Dominik Tabisz