Thanks all for your replies ON THIS (as far as I know) NEW THREAD (& Michael, I am a subscriber).

It sounds like building 2.8 on Debian Squeeze is a (too) shaky proposition... as I do use it with some regularity, I should probably wait until the Debian packager & programmers resolve some of the dependency issues... (?) But I will persist, somehow/way...

I should have mentioned earlier, that my only desire is to have a stable/workable version of GIMP... I hesitate to uninstall 2.6.1 because of POSSIBLE issues regarding removals that might damage my system... namely 'gnome-office,' & I am just totally in the dark regarding what that piece of software is... but it sounds like something to do w/ the gui of the desktop... (advise appreciated here too).

Henry