tl;dr - see

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 09:06 +1000, Owen wrote:
> > From: Henry W. Peters

> > Does anyone on the list here, have any actual knowledge & or
> > experience
> > building GIMP 2.8x on Linux Debian Squeeze? My current version of GIMP
> > is 2.6.1.

> You can build any number of gimps independent of each other.

The real issue is that Debian Squeeze is going to be too out of date to
make this easy.  For example, it has libgtk2.0-0 2.20.1-2, whereas gimp
I think needs 2.24 or later. The included version of gimp is 2.6.10.

At a guess Henry will need to build
. gimp
. gegl
. babl
. pango
. gtk2
. gdk2
. atk
. gtk-pixbuf
. harfbuzz (I think)
. cairo
. pixman
. glib
Probably a new autoconf will be needed, and likely a new gcc, libc, and

The tutorial for ubuntu would work with a newer Debian release.

However, has instructions for
building gimp 2.8 on Squeeze.

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C,
Pictures from old books: