>127markaz <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
>Make sure that the image has an alpha channel and that there are
>transparent parts before exporting.

That was it! In checking while saving as a .png, the save transparent pixels was
grayed out. Took the original .jpg and clicked on Layers > Transparency > Add
alpha channel and erased some of the background to confirm. No more
white....only transparency. In all these years I suppose I've been lucky with
the many .jpg pics I've rendered because I've never encountered this before.

I can't begin to thank everyone for your rapid responses and helping me learn
something and resolving this perceived "problem".

Again, thank you very much.

Mark

--
127markaz (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)