Thanks for the workarounds, I appreciate them very much!

But to summarize, this seems to be an issue not just for me, right? So is there a reason GIMP doesn't support off-canvas editing out-of-the-box to make such workarounds unnecessary? I mean, would there be any downsides of allowing editing content outside the canvas borders? Are there any design limitations of the underlying code that make it hard to impossible to implement such a feature?

If this question is too technical and should go into gimp-developer-l...@gnome.org <mailto:gimp-developer-l...@gnome.org> please say so! The reason I posted this to gimp-user-list@gnome.org <mailto:gimp-user-list@gnome.org> was that the homepage said "discussion about the source code" regarding the developer list and I felt this was not about source code at all yet.

Regards
Eduard