On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:28:31 +0200
"Uniklaps" <uni.kl...@t-online.de> wrote:

> When you open a jpg-file in GIMP 2.8 and make changes and save this again
> as jpg, you cannot re-change the changes you made (if file is closed). If
> changes are not necessary, GIMP can save as tif or jpg. (But are you always
> sure, that your work is perfect?)
> Saving the jpg you worked with as an GIMP xcf-file you can open it again and
> continue your work or go back to changes you made. With an jpg this is not
> possible. But: You should be familiar to the GIMP - feature "layers"

Let us put it this way: If I thought I might want to undo/modify changes later,
I would Save As (or Save As Copy) in .xcf; but when I load a .jpg, work on it,
and Save, I know that I wont be able to undo changes, and I expect the saved
file to replace the original one, not to have the original left untouched and
something completely different saved.

Andrew & Bridget <andrew_brid...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Just because a program does not perform the way you would like it to, doesn't
> make it an inferior program.

No, but it makes it more difficult, and less appealing, to use.

> As it has been said before if you don't like it, use something else, no body
> makes you use GIMP.

I like GIMP, have liked it for fourteen years; I just dont like GIMP 2.8,

Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > - If not, what is the latest release of GIMP that behaved in the old (and
> > intuitive) way, so I can go back to that version ?

> 2.6.11

I will be now be looking for the 2.6.11 package since you kindly tols me it is
free from that export/save sillyness.

radar.ma...@free.fr wrote:

> but if Gimp is made easier and safer for most of people, let's trust our
> contributors.

Since Linux is all in favour of freedom of choice, how about offering the user
an export / save choice in the Preferences dialogues ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
               Il est dangereux d'avoir raison dans des choses
               où des hommes accrédités ont tort.