On 06/15/2013 02:28 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
Hi all

I not often write here, but I'm a regular user of gimp. But I slowly get upset
by some mails here

First: I am myself developer of open source projects as well as Debian
developer, so not some casual user.

These bullying emails are just plain rubbish. Software should be written with
the users in mind. And
- opening a jpg file
- editing
- saving
should result in a saved version of yhe original file, because that is what
practically all programs are doing, and what the user expectation, and natural
behaviour is.

Of course a program does not need to follow the guide lines, but then there
should be a clear indication that it is doing something else than the
standard/default/expected behaviour.

It could all be easily avoided if there were two entries "save as gimp doc" and
"save as original" and a config setting for the default shortcut binding.

I don't mind gimp devs pushing for xcf format, what I dislike is breaking of
expected behaviour and, like above emails, ignorance of the problem.

Norbert

+10

Hi
This strange "save, save as" behaviour could not exist in a professional environment.
A professional (and many amateurs) user know he has to save his work.
I think Gimp-2.8 tries to do instead of the user that it should do himself.
It looks like an other OS (not GNU/LINUX) philosophy : anticipate the desire of the user.
--
Maderios