Hi,

could you go in Edit > Input Devices. You should see a device
representing your mouse (here that's called TPPS/2 IBM Trackpoint but
probably the name can be else), or your touchpad if a laptop. Make
sure the mode is "disabled", and not "screen". If on "screen", it may
explain why your mouse won't work for drawing. Tell us how it went.
:-)

Jehan