> From: kasim.ah...@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:28:08 -0400
> To: j...@jaysmith.com
> CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Save vs export separate discussion forum needed
>
> What you're saying does make sense but is it really necessary? I mean is it
> really THAT
> difficult to get accustomed to the new way of working? It's not even that big
> of a change,
> IMO. Just a different option to click really.
>
> Sent from my iPod

Part of the annoyance was recently stated by another user:  If your particular
GIMP workflow (for whatever reason) has little to no need of XCF file storage,
GIMP still bombards you with "Save changes?" dialogs every time you close an
image after doing your work on it.  Even months or years after mentally
adjusting to the Export command, this dialog persists and you learn to ignore
it out of simple habit -- GIMP is crying wolf.  That is bad.

IMHO GIMP could benefit from re-instating the user preference that was "confirm
closing of unsaved images", but not as it previously was.  The preference would
still be enabled by default, but if it's disabled, then for a given image:
- If the image belongs to an XCF file, GIMP ignores the preference and always
prompts for unsaved changes (saving them to the XCF file, of course).
- If there is no XCF file associated with the image (typical of
import/export/overwrite type workflow), GIMP will only prompt to save changes
if there are changes since the last export.  If there are none, GIMP will not
prompt the user (crying wolf scenario).

I know I haven't thought out this one completely, but it would help eliminate a
problem with how GIMP treats the non-XCF workflow, it would not affect
XCF-based workflows, and would not affect the distinction between Save and
Export.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com