On 08/11/2013 01:38 PM, Jernej Simončič wrote:
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 06:41:50 -0700, Richard Gitschlag wrote:

GIMP is the only application I know of where the selection mask is considered
actual document content (rather than an interface entity used for manipulating
document content).  That was a very workflow-breaking issue to come to terms
with, and actually much more so than Save vs. Export.
In Paint Shop Pro and Excel the selection is also saved with document.

I actually find that behavior quite convenient. Sometimes I have a complex selection mask created that impacts multiple layers, and cannot complete the task until later. Saving the xcf with mask is very helpful.