Well, I don't know if a tool like that already exists in Gimp (maybe in
GMIC?). Let's hope someone else can help us there. If it exists in PS maybe
it exists too here (btw, I'm not familiar with PS, but maybe the name of
that tool would help to find it in Gimp).

About the centering, if there is an active selection, Gimp takes its center
to position the pasting. So, if you copy and then paste, both regions would
overlap. But yes, it's more or less like a positioned zoom blur.

I'm not very good with scheme, so please don't be too harsh with me, but
I've made a dirty script to show you (and too see it myself, too :D) how
that would work. The script is just a draft (it doesn't check errors,
always uses the first layer, there are magic numbers, ...), but I attach
two pictures that show the before and after (selecting a rectangle in the
middle). It's not perfect, but maybe it could help you.

Regards,
Koko.