I know it's not GIMP, but if you're just looking to solve the problem of
generating contact sheets for a directory of images, imagemagick might be
helpful (not sure if it will, but figured it might be worth at least a
mention):

http://blog.patdavid.net/2013/04/using-imagemagick-to-create-contact.html

On Sunday, September 8, 2013, Old_Seafarer wrote:

> >Filter/Batch/Contact Sheet
>
> Thank you for answering maybe but, I don't think so... I find the plug-in
> under
> the "Help" menu. The question is "Do I open a photo (or photos)  first or
> open
> the plug-in first? " And ,yes, once the photo(s)  or plug-in is open,
>  where do
> I find it on the menu as an option? In plain English, how do I get to all
> of
> these dialog boxes shown in the manual? Is it because I need to download
> something called  "Python?" If so, what do I do with the file once it's
> downloaded?
>
> Please remember, I am a professional photographer not a Linux
> enthusiasist. I,
> like you all, am just trying to do my job while eliminating Windows bloat
> and
> giving even more money to Adobe. I truly appreciate all the GIMP team has
> done
> but, respectfully, if it's going to be offered in a Windows version,
>  please
> assume Windows users, not Linux enthusiasists, are going to be the ones
> using it
> and write your manuals and tutorials to that audience.
>
> --
> Old_Seafarer (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

pat david
http://blog.patdavid.net