Considering you said GIMP's been working up until today, I assume you upgraded
to 2.8.8, right? If so, it could just be a bug that made its way into the
stable release. You could just go back to 2.8.6 until the issue is resolved.

Other than that, I'm not really sure what could be going wrong. Maybe reinstall
the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package?

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPod