Hi,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Richard <strata_ran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> From: animatrix1...@gmail.com
>> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 05:47:09 -0600
>> CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
>> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Close buttons and Single Window mode
>>
>> Is this the same as the Ctrl+W command, or are you speaking of something
>> different?
>>
>> Madeleine
>>

>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Terrell Kelley
>> <terrell.kel...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > When you changed the behavior of the close button in single window mode,
>> > you made it where there is no longer an easy way to close the view instead
>> > of the entire application. My suggestion is that you add a close view
>> > button to the menu bar, being an X that is on the far right side.
>> >
>> > Ordinarily I would think this was a feature request and wouldn't have
>> > bothered for 2.8, but I've seen you do a lot of other things I would have
>> > thought would count as feature requests. And the problem IS a result of
>> > something you changed in a point release (2.8.4, I believe). So I'd really
>> > appreciate a 2.8 release with a close view button in single window mode.
>> >
>> > Either that, or at least an option to always show tabs, even if you only
>> > have one view open. That would also give me a close button.
>
> I noticed this recently, too, that in SWM when you hit the Close button on
> the application window it issues a Quit command (Ctrl+Q) when previously it
> issued a Close (Ctrl+W) command.

Yes we changed it, because this was not consistent behavior. When you
click on a window titlebar's X, the meaning is that the user want to
close the whole window, not just a tab in it. This is a consistent
meaning accross all window managers and OSes. Having it perform
various tasks depending on the content was a bug of this single window
mode. And since in single window mode, you have only 1 window, closing
this window means quitting the program.
You still have individual X on tabs to close individual images.

>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Terrell Kelley
>> <terrell.kel...@gmail.com>wrote:
>> > Either that, or at least an option to always show tabs, even if you only
>> > have one view open. That would also give me a close button.

Well in GIMP 2.10, you'll have this. Note though that you can already
close the last tab in GIMP 2.8 with ctrl-w, or "File > Close View"
menu item if you really want to do it with the mouse.

> In some cases this is useful behavior but in others it is not. :(
>
> Related: Windows GIMP needs to have Ctrl+F4 mapped as a keyboard shortcut for
> Close Window.  It's a very common Windows shortcut for closing a 'child'
> window (tab, etc.).

I have checked if it was more of a better default shortcut, maybe on
some platforms. I know that on linux ctrl-w is a very common default
for closing a single tab or child window.
Well according to this list of default shortcuts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts
It appears that even though ctrl-f4 is sometimes a valid alternative,
ctrl-w is always one too, at least on Windows and Linux (on OSX,
that's cmd-w). So I'd say we are good there. If you definitely prefer
ctrl-f4 to ctrl-w, well you can easily change this shortcut in "Edit >
Keyboard Shortcuts". But our default does seem as legit as ctrl-f4, if
not more.

Have fun!

Jehan