On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 05:59 +0000, Jeffery Small wrote:
> These .arw files open properly in the Sony converter (on Windows) and also
> appear to display properly in the Shotwell viewer.

Congratulations on the new camera! Maybe for Christmas you will get some
lenses :-)

On Linux there's also darktable. Shotwell can also import images and can
open them in gimp.

Also, make sure you have a recent version of ufraw. I have 0.19.2 here
but I don't have a Sony Alpha camera, so if you send me one I'll try
it :-) or, less flippantly, if you put a couple of sample raw images
somewhere, I can try some programs and see if I've got better

Exactly which gimp version are you using, and exactly which Linux

List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org