> From: alittleange...@hotmail.com
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:37:19 +0000
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Scaling images
 Is there any way I can scale images down in size, whilst keeping the
quality of the image? I am a Media teacher having to use this software
with the class and they must have high production values for their
controlled assessment. However, I do not know how to get around the
problem that all the work is predominantly blurred because students have
 scaled down the pictures resulting in horrendous blurring.
> Any advice would be greatly received.
> Thanks

When you scale an image's raw pixel size (e.g. Image > Scale Image command) you
WILL lose some image quality as a normal part of the scaling process.  You can
tweak the results slightly by changing the interpolation method at scale time,
but the image simply has more/less pixel count after scaling than it did
before.  E.g. if you scale an image by 50% with no interpolation then GIMP
literally throws out every other row/column of pixel data; with linear or cubic
interpolation, it literally merges every two rows/columns of pixels together
(resulting in some blurring).

On the other hand, if you wish to change the physical printed size of an image,
you do not actually need to scale the image (in terms of pixel count), just
change the image's pixels-per-inch resolution (Image > Print Size).  You can
also do this on-the-fly from the Print command.

-- Stratadrake