> 1) how on earth do I choose a pattern for the Paint dialog, rather than a
> foreground or background color?

Go to edit ->preferences->toolbox - there are 3 checkboxes where you
choose what will be displayed beneath the tools on the toolbox. Be
sure to enable the "Show active brush, pattern & gradient" option.

> That's far from the only thing I want to be able to do but it's certainly one
> of the things that I don't know how to do in this new approach.
> 2) And how do I remove one of the dockable dialogs from the area underneath
> the selection tools?

Just click on the tab of the dockable you are interested in, and drag
it to where you want it. Not related with arranging the docks: if you
double click on any tool icon on the toolbox, the tool options dialog
will open and apear, regardless of it not being visible before.

As for the other tabs thing: they really are not hard to figure out,
and seem way more consistent than I had seen in other program. I am
not sure if you already found out that if you click on the small
triangle at the right of the tabs in a dock dialog, you get a
tab-menu, with several options, including closing the current tab, or
opening any other.

One you find out an optimal configuration for your work, please note that in
the Preferences dialog, "Window management" tab, there is an option to
save the dockable dialogs as they are now.

Best regards,

 js
-><-