I was having the exact same thing happen. Even after trying a
uninstall/reinstall.
What solved it was after an uninstall, go to look in the programs folder
and manually remove the remaining gimp directory and files. I also renamed
the .gimp folder in the user profile directory because it contains some
additions that I want to put back after.  I believe it was as Michael S.
suggests, that there was leftovers from third-party plugins that the
uninstall does not remove.