Use your mouse and move over to the right edge of the screen and activate you menu bar or whatever it is that Micro$oft is calling it. Select Start. If you don't see Gimp 2.8 on your start screen, click on the downward pointing arrow in the lower left corner. On the next screen, in the upper right corner type "gimp" in the search box. Right click on the Gimp 2.8 icon and select "pin to task bar" (and/or "pin to start").
Return to your desktop.
 From your task bar you can create a shortcut to the desktop if you desire.
You can also use windows explorer and browse to C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.8 and drag a shortcut from gimp-2.8.exe to your desktop.
mark